My “What I Learned in First Year” blog was quite popular and I didn’t think second year would come with so many life lessons, but alas it did. Here’s what I learned in my second year of college.
Lessons from my Second Year of College:
- Be nice to the Erasmus students: they are the most interesting people you will meet, but don’t get too attached because then they go home and you’ll miss them.
- No matter how much you love someone, you can’t make them love you, your time would have been spent better loving yourself
- Every heartbreak comes with a lesson.
- People are never who you think they are; for better or for worse.
- Never ever let yourself think that all you have to offer is your body. You are not just something to sit there and look pretty, and you are so much more than that.
- I like radio: I thought I wanted to go into purely print journalism when I finish college, but I finally got the courage to join ULFM and loved it.
- Double, triple, quadruple check the deadline for an assignment – usually it’s a Friday at 5pm, but sometimes you get a lecturer who throws a spanner in the works
- Judge people for yourself: the people your “friends” used to suggest avoid and are weird, aren’t always who people say they are. Give them a chance, they might be nicer than you think. I sure was proved wrong and learned that your initial impression of someone and their reputation are not accurate. I feel awful for being a little hesitant to get to know people, but they all turned out to be wonderful. Apparently people have been saying some pretty “nasty” things behind me back, so I just hope those people offer me the same chance.
- Be brave
- There are some things that no matter how much you try, you just can’t change about yourself. The sooner you accept it, the more at peace you will be.
- I’m a giant hippy – between crystals, 110% living by karma, and being all into the elements and nature I’m a big goth hippy at heart. Since I started living by karma, I’m so much calmer and at peace.
- Good things come to an end… and sometimes get ruined and tainted.
- but, hey, nice things appear when you least expect them too.
If you’re in college, did you pick up any life lessons during the academic year?